Many of us recognise that milk is not good for us, and we may have made the switch from dairy to some other form of beverage that we call milk. Perhaps we did it because we were lactose intolerant or it may have been a conscious decision to avoid animal products. In either case, it is becoming a choice that is more and more common.
Many people who give up dairy milk choose to drink soy milk. In part, it is because soymilk does not contain lactose so if you are lactose intolerant, it is a potentially good choice. Fortified soy milk also contains many vitamins and minerals, including B vitamins, protein, iron and calcium. It is low in cholesterol and saturated fats. Soymilk sounds fantastic, doesn’t it? There is only one problem, research shows that it may be putting you and your health at risk.
The following are the ingredients in soymilk:
Soy milk (Filtered water, whole soybeans)
Vitamin A palmitate
We are probably familiar with the majority of the ingredients and they might not seem all that bad. Carrageenan, however, may be somewhat unfamiliar to us. They are a family of linear sulfated polysaccharides and are extracted from edible red seaweed. Typically, they are used for their gelling and thickening properties.
The body is unable to digest carrageenan but even more than that, it does not have any nutritional value. It may come from a natural source but it tends to destroy the immune system by causing inflammation through triggering a negative immune response. In addition, carrageenan has been associated with a higher risk of colon cancer, irritable bowel syndrome, chronic diarrhea and inflammatory bowel disease.
It is a personal choice as to whether you are going to drink soy milk or not, but it certainly has become controversial. Today, there is more evidence than ever to show the negative effects it can have on your health.
Top Ten Reasons to Avoid Soy Milk
1. Soybeans contain large quantities of natural toxins that affect estrogen levels. Drinking just two glasses of soy milk a day can significantly alter the hormones in a woman’s body, disrupting the menstrual cycle.
2. Soybeans contain haemagglutinin, a clot-promoting substance that causes red blood cells to clump together.
3. About 99% of soy is genetically modified, so it contains one of the highest pesticide contamination levels.
4. Soybeans and soy products contain high levels of phytic acid, which inhibits the assimilation of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc.
5. Soy foods contain high levels of aluminum, which is toxic to the body. It negatively affects the nervous system and the kidneys, and it’s been linked to Alzheimer’s disease.
6. Fragile soy proteins are exposed to high temperatures during processing to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein. This makes them dangerous for human digestion.
7. Soy contains toxic isoflavones – genistein and daidzein. They can stimulate the growth of existing breast cancer.
8. Soy contains plant estrogens called phytoestrogens, which disrupt endocrine function and can lead to infertility and breast cancer in women.
9. Soy foods have high levels of goitrogens which block production of thyroid hormones.
10. Nitrates, potent carcinogens, are formed during the spray-drying process.
The following video can show you the dangers of soy:
Via: David Wolfe
Be sure to share this with your friends on Facebook