There are many different health issues that we may face in life but perhaps one that is often underestimated by most people is a blood clot. When you really stop to think about what is possible if a blood clot should happen to occur, however, it is enough to send chills down your spine. It is one of the most frightening things we can experience in life.
Of course, blood does have natural qualities that allow it to clot and that is what keeps us from bleeding when we are cut. We’ve seen blood clots before, as that is what we see when a scab forms or when we bruise. At times, however, blood clots can pose a serious issue and could even lead to strokes, heart attacks and serious medical conditions.
There are some signs that your body gives to let you know that you are suffering from a blood clot. When you understand these symptoms and react to them, you may just find that you are saving a life.
1. Swelling in one limb – When you have a blood clot known as deep vein thrombosis (DVT), it keeps your blood from circulating. DVT keeps blood from flowing and oxygen from reaching vital organs.
2. Leg pain and tenderness – another common symptom of DVT is pain and tenderness in the leg. According to the National Blood Clot Alliance, the pain may be similar to a Charlie horse or cramp.
3. Red streaks on the skin – keep in mind that a bruise is a type of blood clot. When you see red streaks running along the length of the veins, it is not a normal bruise. Immediate medical attention may be necessary to save your life. At times, those streaks may feel warm to the touch.
4. Chest pain and difficulty breathing – when you experience a problem with chest pain and deep breathing at the same time, it could be a blood clot in the lungs. Seek immediate medical attention because it could be a fatal event.
5. Shortness of breath – when you have a difficulty taking deep breaths, it could be a blood clot in the lungs. You may also have a fluttering in your chest, dizziness and the racing heart. These are serious symptoms.
6. Unexplained cough – Prevention says that if you are coughing for no reason, you should pay attention to your heart rate, breath and chest. If you have an unexplained cough with any other symptoms, your doctor should be contacted.
Be sure to share this with your friends on Facebook