Summer days are absolutely wonderful. It gives us the opportunity to spend time outdoors enjoying the sunshine with our family and friends. Of course, no gathering would be complete unless our pet was there but it times, something happens that requires quick action on our part.
When we see a bee, most of us will make a hasty retreat but what would happen if your dog happen would run into a bee? Many of them would not be experienced enough to know to move out of the way and even if they do, they could be caught unawares and end up getting stung. What you do in this situation?
The first thing that you would do is to stay calm. Panicking may be difficult to avoid, especially when you see things like this.
As humans, we are probably aware of that sensation. It is the short jab of pain that occurs and then for those of us with allergies, swelling, redness and the possibility for a severe allergic reaction, known as anaphylaxis.
Our pets may experience similar problems.
According to a critical care specialist, Erika Loftin, who works at an emergency animal hospital, dogs and cats will have a similar reaction to bee stings as humans. In most animals, it will be little more than local, yet painful swelling.
After about 24 hours, the swelling should go down. As is the case with humans, however, a pet can also have a severe allergic reaction.
Some of the more common symptoms of a severe reaction include pale gums, hives, swelling and a difficulty breathing. You will have no doubt that it is happening to your pet because it happens immediately.
If any major swelling, vomiting or other serious symptoms occur, it is important to get the animal to a veterinarian immediately.
“It is possible for a pet to go into anaphylactic shock resulting from a bee sting, so it’s important to get them treated as soon as possible.”
Allergies are not only difficult to manage, they can be deadly. That is why it may be a good plan to have your pet checked before the summer time rolls around. If they are allergic, you can keep the treatment nearby.
Even if your pet does not have allergies to bee stings, it is a good idea to keep some Benadryl nearby. You need to be cautious, however, because Benadryl is often talked about being a treatment for bee stings, but it was made for humans.
“It’s very important to consult a doctor before giving your pets any kind of medicine, especially medicine intended for humans.”
One of the things to be aware of is that dosages vary significantly between a human and a little animal. Before you even make the decision to give them any medication, it is important to realize that many bee stings can be treated with a cold compress.
At least it shouldn’t be difficult to find the spot where the sting occurred.
In many cases, the sting will occur in the animals foot. Another common area is the tender spot on the tip of the nose.
Cats and dogs don’t tend to think before the approach a bush nose first. At times, they may even end up swallowing the bee!
Hopefully, that doesn’t happen with your pet but regardless of where it does happen, it can result in a lot of tears.
“If your dog yelps and starts to lick or paw at a certain area, watch for swelling to see if it could be a bee sting,” Loftin explains. “If the swelling is minor, you can remove the stinger to prevent more swelling, and then treat the area with a cold compress. Monitor your pet closely to make sure the affected area doesn’t get worse.”
If it does happen, stay calm and take the appropriate action. Most of all, recognize that it is a temporary problem.
Be sure to share this with your friends on Facebook